About hundred years ago Koh Phangan
was not simply any there island. During centuries everyone Thai knew, that Koh Phangan
one of the most favourite places of king. King Chulalongkorn (Rama V, 1868-1910) during the visit to Europe and on peninsula Malaysia, has visited Koh Phangan
14 times in a piece between 1888 and 1909. He has spend here more than 7 nights with the retinue, bathing and having a rest.
Nevertheless, the history of island begins with other events. The bronze drum of Culture Dongson (500-100 years up to AD), found on Samui in 1977, became the bright certificate of that the first settlements on these islands, have been based by people of 2000 more years back. Probably, under rhythms of this drum passed the very first dancings at light of the full Moon, on which inhabitants of nearby islands gathered to diversify the plain everyday lives. So it whether or not to judge we do not undertake, but the person has chosen this place in time immemorials and in the foreseeable past the island never was uninhabited.
Some historians and archeologists assert, that the first people, come on island, were moslems - sea gipsies (Pygmies, proto-malayans), which travelled by boats from part Malazijskogo of peninsula, though at present on Koh Phangan
there live only a few moslems.
The name "Koh Phangan " has appeared from a word "Koh" - island and "Ngan" , that on a southern dialect " the sandy strip ". These sandy patches around of island are visible at low tide and protect it from strong monsoons and formed waves.
From the middle of the first millenium AD. Phangan , apparently, was part of kingdom Shrivichajja and was under the control of district Chajja (nowadays it is district of province Surattani). From that period there were numerous archeologic certificates and a monument of architecture - Nai temple, by mind the experts, constructed for 400 years till period Ayuthaya (1350-1767).
About 200 years ago on island Chinese from Hainan have got over. They peacefully adjoined to local population, being engaged in fishing and gathering nesstle jacks on nearby islands which now enter about structure of national sea reserve Is Ang Thong national Marin Park. Later on island have found deposits of tin and the Chinese began to work on mines and mine in Thong Nai Pan. The Laem Son lake (at northwest coast) long time remained the basic place of development of tin. Extraction have stopped only about forty years ago. During board of King, his officer informed, that on island live about 300 families, the majority from which - Thai and Chinese families. They lived side by side happily and easy. On island there were no crimes: thai raised cocoes, and Chinese made coconut oil and transported it for sale to Bangkok
. Some Chinese collected jacks of birds on island Ang-Tong (now it is marine national park).
Blossoming of popularity of island began hardly more hundred years ago - on August, 31 1888 Phangan has visited His Majesty Chulalongkorn (Rama V, 1868-1910) on road to Europe and Malaysia. The same day he has visited a falls and has named him Than Sadet falls as it very much liked this silent place. Water from this source is considered sacred and is used at carrying out of ceremonies including king and members of his family. A year after, on July, 18-th, 1889 king has returned on island and his name has been engraved on a rock.
At the moment it is possible to see 9 royal autographes on rocks which have been left by various governors of Thailand (Rama V, Rama VI, Rama VII, Rama IX). Most popular of them in people? Rama V. His image can be met everywhere on island. Hardly later Rama V has given names to two other falls. One of them, located in Haad Namtok beach (east coast), refers to «Than Phrapaad», another, « Than Prawes ». In an interval with 1888 for 1909 His Majesty Rama V the island has visited fourteen times. To Phangan he became known among Thai people as the most favourite island of king.
The first important changes on Koh Phangan
have begun after the first bungalow for tourists about 35 years ago here has been constructed. The life in the middle gulf of Siam has a little changed for last 20 years...
is the greatest island after Samui, and has the area 168 sq.km . More than 70 % mountains covered with coconut plantations and a tropical wood.
On island there live more than 8,000 person, the majority the Chinese immigrating here more hundred years ago and now settled in Thong Saal
Town .95 % of the population Buddhists and only few part, living in Baan Tai village, professes an islam.
it is used as an official language, but local residents use a southern dialect more widely. English language is clear in business cycles and the tourist centers.
On Koh Phangan
, inhabitants live that, that raise coconuts. Every month on Samui and Koh Phangan raise more than 1 million coconuts which then export to Bangkok
. Also here are engaged in fishery, well and certainly tourism prospers.
During last 20 years, Koh Phangan
involves huge quantity of visitors; some of them strictly come back back to island.
The local population, as well as during former times, differs religious tolerance and on island, besides Budda temples, it is possible to see Christian churches, the Chinese temples and Muslim houses.